What financial support is available?
Student loans can include a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan or Grant to assist with your living costs while you study.
The Tuition Fee Loans able for study at London Churchill College is £6,000, paid directly to the College as the course provider, and will not have to be paid back until the completion of your course, when you are earning above a certain level.
Maintenance Loans can be applied for at the same time, providing financial assistance at the start of each term of the academic year. How much you will receive is dependent upon your household income, where you live and how long you have lived there for. If you are from a low income household, you may also qualify for a Maintenance Grant as well.
From September 2016 onwards Maintenance Grants are being replaced with loans for all new full-time students in England. If you start your course after the 1st of September 2016 your student finance package will only include a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan. Qualifying students will still be able to apply for grants if they are eligible for certain benefits, disabled or need help with childcare costs. You can find out more on the student finance pages on GOV.UK.
You may be eligible to obtain financial assistance if all of the following apply:
• You are a UK national or hold ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK)
• you normally live in England
• you’ve been resident in the UK for 5 years before the start of your course
• To be eligible for financial assistance non-UK nationals must hold settled status on the first day of the first academic year of their chosen course – which may be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July dependent on the intake chosen.
For further information regarding your eligibility for student finance please either contact Student Finance England or come into the college and speak to a member of the admissions team.
Most full-time students can make their application for student finance online at the student finance pages on GOV.UK.
• Set up a student finance online account.
• Log in and complete the online application.
• Include full details of your household income and get your parents (or partner) to support your application, if necessary
• Send in proof of identity, if necessary
• Sign and return the loan declaration, which you should receive within 6 weeks of making your application
• If for any reason you are not able to apply online, use the form finder located on the student finance pages on GOV.UK. to obtain the forms you need.
If have you experience any difficulty in applying for student finance please either contact Student Finance England or come into the college and speak to a member of the admissions team.
It can take up to six weeks for your application for student finance to be processed. You are strongly advised to make your application for finance as soon as possible – even if you have only received a conditional offer from London Churchill College – as you will be able to amend or cancel your application if your circumstances change.
For more information about how or when you will receive your student finance, watch the ‘Getting paid’ video from Student Finance England or visit the student finance pages on GOV.UK.
Applications for finance take at least six weeks to be processed fully; however, Student Finance England will do an initial assessment to ensure that you receive funds as close to the start of your chosen course as possible.