Student finance step by step
Find Out How Much Loan You Could Get
Find out the maximum tuition fee and maintenance loan you could get if you’re a:
How much maintenance loan you get depends on where you’ll study and your household income.
You’ll have to pay back any loan you get.
And Check if you can get extra help
You might be able to get extra money if you:
- are under 25, have no contact with your parents and support yourself
- pay for childcare
- are a full-time student with children
- have an adult who depends on you financially
- have a disability, mental or physical health problem or learning difficulty like dyslexia
You might also be able to get other financial help, for example from your university or the government.
You’ll need to create a student finance account if you’re a new student or sign into an existing account if you’re a returning student.
It can take up to 6 weeks to process your application. You might have to provide extra evidence.
Update your details if your circumstances change
You must update your application if your circumstances change. For example if you:
- change your course through clearing
- change where you’re going to live – for example with your parents instead of halls
Make sure you can be paid
After you register at your university or college you’ll usually get your maintenance loan paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term.
Use your student finance account to:
- update your bank details – for example if you open a student account
- check how much you’ll be paid
- check when you’ll be paid
You are currently viewing: Sign in to your student finance account
Check what to do while you're studying
You’ll need to reapply for student finance for each year of your course.
You must keep your details up to date throughout your course because some changes can affect your loan payments, for example if your household income or bank details change.
Check what to do when you stop studying
When you stop studying the Student Loans Company (SLC) will create a student loans repayment account for you.
Make sure your contact details are up to date in your repayment account. The log in details will be the same as for your student finance account.
Sign in to your student loan repayment account
Update your employment details